Tree worker electrocuted while working in Southfield

UPDATE 6/9/19 – The victim has been identified as 26-year-old Erik Stilwell. “We had noticed that he had a burn on his right hand and there was a hole at the bottom of his left shoe. So, it (electricity) had just gone right through him,” said Erik’s stepmother, Kathy Stilwell. 

Southfield, MI – An unidentified tree worker was electrocuted and stuck in a tree while working in Southfield.

According to reports, the man was climbing a tree around 6 PM when he came into contact with the high voltage wire. When authorities arrived they found the man hanging in the tree by his harness. He is believed to have died instantly.

Southfield Fire Chief Johnny Menifee stated that he wasn’t sure if anyone was helping the climber, or who had made the call to 911.

DTE Energy released the following statement Saturday night: 

We at DTE Energy are deeply saddened to learn that an independent tree trimmer came into contact with one of our power lines while trimming a tree in Southfield and unfortunately passed away. This is a tragic reminder of the importance of safety around power lines. Our thoughts and prayers are with the person’s family and friends.

For more information; http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/man-dies-after-being-electrocuted-while-trimming-tree-in-southfield

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/tree-trimmer-killed-by-power-lines-in-southfield

https://www.wxyz.com/news/man-believed-to-be-killed-in-electrocution-accident-while-cutting-down-trees-in-southfield

Do you have more info about this story? Help us out by letting us know!