23 year old dies from heat stroke after only a few days doing tree work

Poplar Bluff, MO – 23 year old Tyler Halsey died from heat stroke after only a four days working on a tree trimming crew. According to OSHA, Halsey was working on the ground during tree trimming work. He started his shift at around 7 AM. Halsey became overheated at around 4:30 PM when the heat index reached 110 degrees. He was hospitalized with a core temperature of more than 108 degrees and died on Saturday, July 23. OSHA stated the employee died on his fourth day working for Townsend Tree Service of Muncie, Indiana.

UPDATE 9/27/2016 – Townsend Tree Service has been fined $12,471 for exposing employees to hazardous conditions. The hazardous conditions were excessive heat. The ground man, Tyler Halsey, was hired three days prior and was not acclimated to the heat. Around 4:30, with a heat index of 112 degrees, Halsey collapsed performing his assigned duties. He died as a result of exposure to excessive heat. His core body temperature was above 108 degrees. You can read the OSHA reports below.

For more information; http://www.newswest9.com/story/32528783/mom-speaks-out-after-son-overheats-dies-while-working-outside

OSHA Reports: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=33156

https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/files/newsroom/newsreleases/OSHA20161858.pdf

Do you have more info about this story? Help us out by letting us know!